Green gram powder, also known as moong dal powder or mung bean powder, is a fine, powdered form of green gram (Vigna radiata), which is a type of legume. Green gram is mostly cultivated in India, Southeast Asia, and other fewer other parts of the world. Green gram is harvested when the beans are still immature and have a green color. It is used as an ingredient in various culinary preparations, traditional remedies, and beauty products. Let’s look at how to use green gram powder for skin brightening.
Green gram powder for skin brightening – Table of Content
Uses and benefits of green gram powder
- Culinary Uses: Green gram powder is a versatile ingredient used in cooking. It is often used to make savory snacks, such as moong dal fritters or dosa (a type of Indian pancake). It can also be added to soups, stews, and curries to enhance their flavor and nutritional content.
- Nutritional Profile: Green gram is highly nutritious and a good source of plant-based protein, dietary fiber, vitamins (such as vitamin C and vitamin B6), and minerals (including iron, potassium, and magnesium). Green gram powder retains many of these nutritional properties.
- Digestive Health: Green gram powder is known for its digestive benefits. It is easily digestible and can be beneficial for individuals with digestive issues or those with sensitive stomachs. The dietary fiber in green gram powder can help regulate bowel movements and promote a healthy digestive system.
- Skincare: Green gram powder is used in traditional skincare remedies. It is known for its gentle exfoliating properties and is used in face masks, scrubs, and cleansers. It can help remove dead skin cells, unclog pores, and promote a smoother and brighter complexion.
- Hair Care: Green gram powder is also used in hair care. It can be mixed with other ingredients to create hair masks or pastes that help nourish the scalp, strengthen hair follicles, and promote healthier hair growth.
How is green gram powder made?
The process of obtaining green gram powder is like this:
- Harvesting: in the fields, the plants are allowed to mature until the pods turn dry yellow.
- Drying: after harvesting these pods, they are typically sun-dried to make them free of moisture content and preserve the beans. Apart from increasing the shelf-life drying process also helps in preventing spoilage and facilitates easy extraction of the beans from the pods.
- Decorticating/ removing the outer shell: After the drying phase, the outer shells or husks of the green gram beans are removed. This can be done manually or with machines.
- Grinding: The decorticated green gram seeds are then ground into a fine powder form.
This green gram powder is then packaged and made available for various uses, including culinary preparations, traditional remedies, and skincare applications. It’s worth noting that green gram powder is also sometimes referred to as moong dal powder or mung bean powder.
Green gram powder for skin brightening
Green gram powder is famously used in skincare for its various benefits and the most popular is skin brightening. While it is not a direct skin whitening agent, green gram powder can contribute to improving the overall appearance and health of the skin. Here’s how green gram powder may help with skin brightening:
- Gentle Exfoliation: Green gram powder has mild exfoliating properties that can help remove dead skin cells and unclog pores. Regular exfoliation daily can improve the texture and brightness of the skin by revealing fresher, rejuvenated and healthier-looking skin.
- Skin Detoxification: It may help remove embedded impurities, dirt, and excess oil from the skin’s outer surface, promoting a clearer and more radiant complexion.
- Skin Soothing and Cooling: Green gram powder has a soothing and cooling effect on the skin. It can help calm skin irritation, redness, and inflammation, which may contribute to a more even skin tone.
- Natural Cleansing and Oil Control: Green gram powder doesn’t cause dryness. It can help remove excess oil without stripping away essential moisture, making it suitable for oily and combination skin types. Controlling oiliness may contribute to a more balanced and brighter complexion.
- Nourishment and Hydration: Apart from all other above-mentioned qualities it also contains nutrients and antioxidants that can nourish and hydrate the skin. This can help improve skin health, maintain moisture balance, and potentially enhance the skin’s natural radiance.
Note- It’s important to note that individual results may vary, and it’s advisable to perform a patch test before applying any new skincare product or ingredient to ensure there are no adverse reactions. Additionally, for specific skin concerns or desired outcomes, it’s always recommended to consult with a dermatologist or skincare professional.
How to use green gram powder for skin brightening
To harness the skin benefits of green gram powder, follow these simple steps:
- Cleansing: Mix green gram powder with water or rose water to form a paste. Gently massage it onto damp skin in circular motions to cleanse and then rinsed off after a few minutes to remove impurities. It can also be mixed with other ingredients, such as water, milk, yogurt, or honey, to form a paste or mask. This mixture can then be applied to the face or body and gently massaged.
- Exfoliation: Create a scrub by combining green gram powder with a few drops of honey or yogurt. Apply the mixture to your face and scrub in gentle circular motions. Rinse off to reveal smoother, brighter skin.
- Face Mask: Blend green gram powder with ingredients like milk, yogurt, or aloe vera gel to create a face mask. Apply the mask evenly to your face, leave it on for 15-20 minutes, and rinse off. This can help nourish, hydrate, and improve the overall complexion.
- Skin Brightening: Mix green gram powder with lemon juice or tomato juice to create a paste. Apply it to areas with pigmentation or dullness. Leave it on for 15 minutes, then rinse off. Repeat regularly for potential skin-brightening effects.
- Body Scrub: Mix green gram powder with carrier oil, such as coconut oil or olive oil, and add a few drops of essential oil for fragrance. Use this mixture as a gentle body scrub in the shower to exfoliate and soften the skin.
Remember to perform a patch test before using green gram powder on your face or body to check for any adverse reactions. Additionally, follow up with a moisturizer to keep your skin hydrated after using green gram powder. Enjoy the natural goodness of green gram powder for healthier, glowing skin.
The Bottom Line
Green gram powder is widely available in grocery stores, health food stores, and online retailers. Green gram powder, a skincare secret, holds promise for brighter skin. Its gentle exfoliation reveals a fresh complexion, while its detoxifying properties unclog pores. Soothing and cooling, it evens skin tone. Natural cleansing controls oil, and its nourishing elements hydrate, enhancing a radiant glow. Embrace the beauty of green gram powder!